24 Types of Two Strand Twist Hairstyle, How to put on this Haircut
Have you ever seen someone with luscious, rope-like hair and wondered how they achieve such a beautiful look? Chances are, they have styled their hair using the popular protective hairstyle known as the Two Strand Twist. This style is especially beneficial for those with curly or kinky hair, as it helps minimize damage, knots, and tangles
What is a Two Strand Twist?
To create this look, simply take small sections of your hair and twist them together in two strands at a time. If desired, you can even add extensions to make your twists longer. The best part? This style can last for up to a month without needing to be taken out and can be worn in various ways.
If you are someone who prefers wearing weaves, do not worry – it is still possible to achieve the Two Strand Twist look. However, it is important to ensure that the weave matches the color and texture of your natural locks before styling them together.
The length of your twists will ultimately depend on personal preference; some individuals opt for lengthy twists while others prefer shorter ones instead. If you are unsure which weave would work best for you, consider seeking professional help from a salon to simplify matters greatly.
How do Two Strand Twist?
The method of setting up a Two Strand Twist involves three different steps. These steps are;
- Setting Up the Hair for the Twists
- Twisting the Hair
- Decorating & Looking after the Twists
Now, we will discuss each and every step in proper detail.
1. Setting Up the Hair For the Twists:
- First of all, you have to make a decision about which Two Strand Twist you want to do on your hair. There are various types of this hairstyle and it only depends on you that will look better on you. After selecting the particular type, now you have to set up your hair according to that style and type. For fewer twists, you have to divide your hair into big portions. Similarly, for more twists, you have to divide the hair into small portions and smaller twists.
- Next, you need to shampoo your hair properly. After that, completely condition your head and wash your hair. Now, you should dry your hair but make sure the hair remains a little damp. Do not dry them out completely. Therefore, you should use a cotton shirt instead of a towel. A cotton shirt will soak the extra water and will not dry the hair. On the other hand, the towel will dry out your hair. Moreover, if you observe water dripping out of the head, it means you need to dry it further.
Comb the Hair Gently:
The next step is to straighten your hair if you already had a Two Strand Twist. For this purpose, you need to comb your hair diligently so that the curls are removed. Try to use the comb with wide teeth. This will really help in removing tangles from the roots. Moreover, you can also use a spray for smooth combing and removing curls.
- Now, for putting a Two Strand Twist, you have to divide your hair into two portions. For this purpose, you have to use a comb that has teeth on one side and a separator on the opposite side of the comb. Separate the hair from one ear to ear into upper and lower sections. Plug the clips to keep the sections separate from each other.
- In the next step, you should make three sections in each upper and lower section of hair that you did in the previous step. Therefore, make sure those sections are identical. Now for making three equal sections in the upper section of hair, comb them like you did while making the upper and lower sections. Similarly, for making three sections in the lower section, repeat the procedure that you do for the upper section. To separate the 6 sections use the clips in your hair.
2. Twisting the Hair:
- For twisting the hair to make Two Strand Twist, the first step is to unclip the hair section that you did in the previous process. Do it one by one and start unclipping from the bottom hair section. In this way, hair will not tangle with each other.
- The next step is to comb the loose part of your hair. For this purpose, you need to use a wide tooth comb that will remove the curls that are created during making sections and clipping of hair processes.
- Now, you have to use cream or lotion for curls and twists in your hair. For this purpose, you first need to take the lotion or cream on your palm and rub them on the loose part of your hair. In this way, those hairs will stick to each other and help in locking a particular Two Strand Twist.
- The next step is to start separating the loose hair into equal portions. You can use a rubber band for separating the portions from other hairs. During this separation, divide the portion into two strands of equal size in hair. Moreover, make sure the rubber band is quite close to the roots of the hair.
- Now, the last step in making a Two Strand Twist is twisting those small portions of hair on each other. Do it until you reach the end of your hair. After that use hair cream or gel on the twist so that they remain intact and solidify. Now, repeat this process on all your hair strand portions.
3. Decorating & Looking after the Twists:
- After making your Two Strand successfully, now you can decorate them with various items like beads, elastics with balls, and barrettes. Therefore, you can put them in your strands. These beads can be adjusted in the bottom of the hair like roots or on the other end of the hair. Additionally, these beads and barrettes give a beautiful look but also keep the Twists in place.
- Another factor to keep the Two Strand Twist in place is covering them in a scarf while sleeping. If you are not satisfied with this, you can use a satin pillow for sleeping with twisted hair.
What are the various types of Two Strand Twist?
There are more than 30 types of Two Strand Twist in which you can observe different hairstyles and how different each type is from the other one. Let us discuss each type of this hairstyle with a short description of each of them.
2 Strand Twist With Shaved Sides
Shaved Sides Hairstyle is particularly for both men and women that have long or medium size hair. However, it is not compulsory to have long hair for putting on this hairstyle. You can still put on this style with short hair.
Mohawk Two Strand Twist
As the name suggests Hawk, this hairstyle is actually Two Strand Twist in which hairs are straightened up. Furthermore, hair is bent forward to give a hawk-beak resemblance.
Checkered Two Strand Twists
If you are in search of a new hairstyle but do not want to go for a dramatic change, checkered twists could be the perfect choice. It is an easy-going and low-maintenance look that won’t take much of your time, while still offering a unique twist.
The Disconnected Undercut is another fashion trend that is getting very famous. This Two Strand Twist haircut involves cutting one side of the hair shorter than the other, resulting in an uneven hemline. Furthermore, you can design the longer side creatively by tying it back into a ponytail or braiding it inventively.
Extremely Tight Haircut
To create this style, ensure that your hair is long enough or add extensions/wefts if necessary. Avoid using products that may leave residue on your scalp while braiding to avoid difficulties in removing cornrows later on.
Ponytail With Undercut Two Strand Twist Hairstyle
Ponytails have been popular for many years and are universal enough to suit both men and women in various styles such as braids or buns. In this Two Strand Twist style, the hair is gathered into a high ponytail on top of the head and tied with an elastic band.
The sides are shaved or buzzed close to the skin to create an undercut effect, which has become increasingly trendy among younger individuals who seek something that’s both fashionable and edgy.
Medium-Long Counter Twist Haircut
This Medium-Long Counter Twist Haircut is only applicable for hair that has a length to the shoulder or chin from the front side. Therefore, one can put this hairstyle as a straight or wavy shape of braids. To style this haircut, you need Side-Swept bangs and you can wear them with different styles also.
Sleek Short 2 Strand Twist
The sleek Short Two Strand Twist is a famous hairstyle nowadays. If you have dense and fine hair, this style will suit you perfectly. Furthermore, this is very simple to maintain and look after.
Thick Highlighted Twists
This is an amazing hairstyle that gives your hair a more unique yet natural look. In addition, this haircut is polished and enhances the natural color of your hair without looking so flashy.
Box Braided Two Strand Twist
Braids offer numerous styling options, including box braids that are popular for their versatility. These consist of three or four individual braids that start at the forehead and wrap around to the back of your head.
Box braids can be washed every few days with shampoo and moisturized as needed; however, it’s best not to use oils while washing them if you want them extra tight. If you have long hair, cutting it into a bob before getting box braids will make styling easier.
Jumbo Braids Counter Twist
Jumbo Braids Counter Twist is a popular Two Strand Twist haircut that is very universal and easy to look after. Therefore, you can adjust them with a ponytail or just use headbands.
Low Ponytail Two Strand Twist
A low ponytail is a relaxed and casual hairstyle suitable for those with thin or thick curly locks. It also allows wearers to incorporate different hair accessories they may have collected over time without knowing how to incorporate them into their look.
Short Frizzy Hairstyle
Short frizzy haircuts come in various styles such as blunt or angled bobs. You can wear them with longer bangs or mid-lengths by cutting the hair in different directions and lengths.
Short Two Strand Twist With Bangs
Short Strand Twist with Bangs is a multi-dimensional hairstyle because bangs have different shapes like curly, straight, centered partition, or side parted. Moreover, bangs have different sizes, also medium size, small size, and large sizes.
Long With Loose Ends
As we discussed earlier, long hair has the ability to mold in different shapes and designs. Similarly, long braids with loose ends are another quite edgy and unique look for men especially. For this haircut, you need to have shiny and strong hair.
Long Twists With Fade
Also known as Cornrows, Long Twist with Fade is quite unique and famous among black people. However, this hairstyle is a bit different from cornrows because they have fades on it. This strand twist haircut is also easy to look after.
Short Two Strand Twist With Beads
Adding beads or barrettes on the end or center of the short twists is another famous hairstyle. It is quite easy to apply these beads to the hair and adjust them properly.
High Bun Double Strand Twists
You might understand it as a ponytail hairstyle, but this is a bit different because of a bunch of braids on the upper side of the head. This hairstyle will never fade from the market.
Feed-In Braided Twists
Feed-In Braided twists are very convenient to put on. Moreover, you can color these braids according to your personality and this fashion hairstyle is trending nowadays.
Side Parted Double Strand Twists
This is an amazing and probably the easiest Two Strand Twist hairstyle that is also helpful for the growth of hair. For this purpose, you need to pull the braids back and use the diffuser to dry the hair.
Jumbo Two Strand Twist Dread
Jumbo 2 Strand Twist can be worn in various dimensions and styles. These braids suit people with long hair and they should clean the hair and head before wearing this hairstyle.
A Micro Twist is another type of Two Strand Twist Hairstyle in which small twists with a diameter of 0.25 inches are made. So, you can observe small twists entangling with other small braids and giving a unique outlook.
Side Swept Twists are quite similar to Side Parted Twists. However, this is a bit more formal and casual as compared to Side Parted Hairstyle.
Point parted hairstyle is actually for those people that want a quirky and professional look at the same time. While making this Two Strand Twist point about parted hairstyles, you have to divide the hair from the center of the head and twist them back over themselves. So, it will look so smooth and professional from every angle you see.
How long does two strand twist last?
The average time for which this double-strand twist last ranges from 2 to 6 weeks. After that period, the twists are no longer in their place. So, you have to repeat the process of a Two Strand Twist in your hair.
Is two strand twist good for hair?
Yes, this hairstyle is good for hair because it keeps the hair damp and moist for a longer period of time. Not only this, but this hairstyle also keeps the hair curl-free.
How long does it take for your hair to lock up in 2 strands and Twist?
It takes from 6 months to 2 years to lock the two Strand Twist locks up permanently. But there are certain factors that you need to keep in mind that actually determine the lock-up period of hair. These factors are Hair Density, Hair Texture, and maintenance of hair.
On to the Final Note:
Two Strand Twist hairstyles come in different designs and styles that we have discussed above in the article. Moreover, there is a proper procedure to put on this 2 strand Twist hairstyle that involves various steps.